Helpful Tips On How To Reduce Elderly Caregiver Stress
The stress level of taking care of an aging parent can overwhelm and consume you at times and cause elderly caregiver stress.
Have you heard this advice before, “Put on your own airplane oxygen mask on first, then on your child or others?”
I have never experienced this in an airplane, but I know this sage recommendation is “easier said than done!”
Here are other helpful tips to reduce elderly caregiver stress:
- For a few days take note of every caregiver task you complete
- Be realistic:
- What can I delegate to another family member or in-home care program?
- How can I streamline a task and make it easier?
- Use disposable plates and cups?
- Make freezer meals or utilize a meal delivery program, like Meals On Wheels?
- Can home delivery help with medicine, food or supplies?
- What equipment do I need to install to help with lifting, bathing and feeding my mom?
- Financial pressures
- What can be sold or downsized?
- No one wants to sell our parent’s home or belongings but taking a realistic look at her financial landscape can help reduce the mental stress of having to make ends meet
- Personal limitations
- It’s hard to admit you can’t help in certain ways or times due to family, physical or work responsibilities
- We all want to do right by our parents, but when you “spread yourself too thin” you become less helpful to them
- Be realistic:
Our cloudnine Agency caregivers can help you take a realistic look at how best to put your “oxygen mask on first” and how you can reduce your caregiver stress levels.
The cloudnine Agency is dedicated to providing the best in-home care services to you and your family member.
Contact us today to learn how we can help you get a much-needed break!
Note: This information is general in nature. It should not be construed as professional medical, financial, legal, or tax advice. You should work with your healthcare provider, financial, attorney, or tax professional to determine what will work best for you and your loved one’s situation.